Live The Dream

Australia population hits 23 million

Net overseas migration added 238,300 people to Australia’s population in the year to March 2013, this is around the five yearly average. They are now seeing migration climbing steadily to rates last seen in 2009, though it’s still well below the record high of 316,000 in 2008. After Western Australia, the state with the biggest population growth was the Australian Capital Territory with growth of 2.2%, followed closely by Queensland with growth of 2%, and Victoria and the Northern Territory both recording population growth of 1.8%.

Overall, Australia’s population reached 23 million at the end of March 2013, and grew by an annual rate of 1.8% or 397,400 people. Net overseas migration accounted for 60% of Australia’s growth, with the remaining 40% due to natural increase. Victoria had the highest natural increase for the year ending 31 March 2013, growing by 7.8% or 3,000 people, compared to the previous year. Nationally, the number of births increased by 1.2% over the past year whilst the number of deaths increased by 1.7%.

Tags: